Wave 8 of Understanding Society released
The latest wave of data is now available to researchers.
Our latest data release features eight waves of Understanding Society data, plus eighteen waves of Understanding Society harmonised British Household Panel Survey data. All of these data can be downloaded via the UK Data Service.
- Read the Understanding Society Mainstage (Waves 1-8) – User Guide
- Read the Understanding Society BHPS – Harmonised User Guide
What else features in the Wave 8 data release?
- Main survey: Most modules in Wave 8 appeared in previous waves, however there are a number of modules that appear in rotation and are included in Wave 8. These include questions on commuting behaviour and working conditions, charitable giving, personal pensions and savings and personal identity. All modules can be seen in the Long Term Content Plan.
- Young adult questionnaire content: Since Wave 2, participants aged 16-21 years old answer additional questions in the Main Survey that are tailored for young adults. In this data release rotating modules on happiness and self-esteem, alcohol consumption and future intentions are included.
- Youth questionnaire modules: Participants aged 10-15 years old complete a paper questionnaire every wave which takes 30 minutes to complete. The youth self-completion questionnaire includes questions on family life, friends, self-esteem, happiness, education, health and environmental attitudes. Read the youth questionaire (10-15 year olds).
- Immigrant and Ethnic Minority Boost: In the Understanding Society interview, the Immigrant and Ethnic Minority Boost Sample are asked an extra five minutes of questions which are relevant to the experiences of ethnic minorities and immigrants.
- Improvements to Waves 1-7. The new release of data has allowed us to make improvements to Waves 1-7 of the Study. New variables and derived variables have been introduced and some weighting has been recalculated Read the Waves 1-7 revisions guide.
Resources for researchers
- Download Waves 1-8 from the UK Data Service
- Access the documentation that accompanies the dataset
- Find out about training courses
- Search publications that have used Understanding Society
- Sign up to receive information about the latest events, research and news from Understanding Society
- Follow us on Twitter or Facebook
Do you use Understanding Society data?
You can tell us about your research using this form. All Understanding Society research is considered for case studies, policy events and publications such as our annual findings report, Insights.
If you have used Understanding Society in your research please remember to cite us! It's quick and easy to do and helps us share how the Study is being used. You can copy the correct citation from here.